Re: Can't get socket's IP address w/ new stack?

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 09:15, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 03:45:50PM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
> > > I've been googling all afternoon for example code using
> > > SIOCGIFADDR, but all the examples I can find are identical to
> > > what I did with the old stack -- and that doesn't work with the
> > > new stack.
> >
> > What happens if you call _show_all_interfaces() (defined in
> > net/common/current/src/ifaddrs.c)?
>
>   0x003dfd94 - eth0 -
>   0x003dfdb0 - eth0 - 10.0.0.7
>   indx(eth0) = 1
>   index(eth0) = 1/eth0
>
> Notice how there are two interfaces named "eth0" and the second
> one is the one with the IP address?  The SIOCGIFADDR always
> returns the address from the first interface (which doesn't
> _have_ an address, so the structure is all 0's).
>
> There must be something wrong about the way I'm initializing
> the stack things.  When I let DHCP do it, I get different
> results:
>
>   0x003dfd94 - eth0 - 10.0.0.7
>   0x003dfdcc - lo0 - 127.0.0.1
>   indx(eth0) = 1
>   index(eth0) = 1/eth0

Interesting.  I'd start by comparing how your code brings up the
interface vs. how DHCP does it.  Have you tried BOOTP (instead of
DHCP)?  It does things a little differently still and might provide
other clues.

> Moving to the new network stack sure has proven to be more of a
> pain than I anticipated...

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be painful :-(  I guess added flexibility
adds complexity (and maybe pain).

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates