Re: ROMRAM start on ARM platform

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 12:45, Koeller, T. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found that most of the *romram.ldi files for the various arm
> platforms are broken, because they all have an LMA_EQ_VMA argument
> in their section definitions for code and read-only data sections,
> and so the contents of these sections are not copied to RAM. I can't
> fix this because the maintainers rigidly insist in using the Windows
> MLT tool to modify those files (I just recently inquired about this on
> ecos-devel again), which I do not have access to.

I don't recall seeing this on ecos-devel - when was that?

As for "insisting", I've not heard that either.  For example, I don't
even have a Windows MLT tool anymore and always just do these
modifications by hand.

> And then, there is yet another problem: By looking at arm.ld I
> found that even if this were fixed, only the contents of the .data
> section is copied to RAM, the contents of .rodata and .rodata1
> are not. This is certainly an error, too, or am I getting something
> wrong here?

ROMRAM mode was never intended to be automatic - all of the copying
takes place manually, in the platform startup code.  The assumption
is that the ROM image (which most platforms require for the real
startup) will contain TEXT and initialized DATA in a format that
can be copied to RAM.  Once copied thusly, the code passes on to
executing out of RAM.  Since there is some raw processing of these
images, typically to binary or whatever, to create the image in ROM,
I think that them LMA_EQ_VMA probably isn't significant.

Did you have a particular platform that's not working?

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates