Entering GDB stubs from an application

I am trying to track down a problem right now and I would like to drop my
application into GDB stubs when an external event happens.  (I have to use
the serial port to configure and control the application, but I want to go
in after the fact and poke around).  I tried accessing non-existent memory
and dividing by zero, neither of which dropped me into GDB stubs.  I tried
reading the CDL for an option that looked like it would do the trick, but
came up empty (after trying a few things) there too, so now I turn to you.

I think I have run into a case where the kernel is helping me by ignoring
the exception.  In a production system, I think that's a great idea (I don't
want the production system to drop into GDB stubs for no apparent (to the
end user) reason), but in this case, I would like to force it to happen.

Any ideas?

Since I wrote the HAL myself, it is possible/likely that I missed something.

--wpd