Re: gdb stubs in ecos.

Ottawa Guy <ottawaguy81@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
> I have an interesting problem. I am running a
> simulator. This simulator has interface similar to
> redBoot. That means I could request the simulator to
> load an ELF object file and start executing code at
> some memory address.
>

> Now I want to run gdb-stubs on that simulator and then
> use the host gdb program to connect to the simulator.
>
> Can someone suggest me what to do.

This all depends on the level of hardware emulation that the simulator
supports. Does the simulator have full emulation of things like the
interrupt controller, UARTs, etc?

One approach we used in the past was for the simulator to connect its
UART device emulation to a TCP socket. We could then connect GDB to
that socket and treat it like a serial line. However, it was all very
slow because all debug interations were handled by simuated target
code.