Multiple GCC's, keeping them straight

I'm being challenged by having multiple GCC tool chains around. It occurred to me that some readers might do this because they have multiple architectures to support and could thus offer some advice.

What I'm trying to do is to have gcc 3.3.2 both 'native' and 'target' mode in my path. The goal is actually to have gcj (both 'native' and 'target') in my path so that I can compile Java code into my ECOS application.

It hasn't been working particularly well, and I seem to get hung up in the binutils (either ld or perhaps gas) picking up the native one when I want the target one. Do folks run multiple chains in the same directory (differentiated by "gcc" vs "i386-elf-gcc" for example) or do they run with multiple paths and set those paths in Makefiles or something?

--Chuck