Re: doubt on i386 PC Target building

sivaraman venugopal <sivaramanvenugopal@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am building ecos for i386 PC Target
> I am using Redhat linux.
> I downloaded ecos-2.0 from site
>
> I did following things using Configuration tool
>
> 1) build->templates , i selected i386 PC Target &
> default

You also need to select the FLOPPY startup type if you are going to
run applications stand-alone from a floppy.

> 2) Gave native tools path

You mean the target toolchain here don't you? You cannot compile eCos
applications with the Linux native toolchain.

> 3) build->library
>
> it is taking  ECOS Repository Path correctly
> global prefix is ok. i have checked with all
> makefiles
>
> When i say build->library
>  It compiles all packges and creates the binary file
> and image file in ecos_install/bin directory
>
> i loaded the binary file in to the floppy using
>
> $ dd conv=sync if=gdb_module.bin of=/dev/fd0
>
> the binary file is loaded into the floppy

What are you actually building here? If you are building RedBoot you
should have a redboot.bin, if you are building an eCos application you
will have .elf files for each application executable. None of these
should be called gdb_module.

> when i reboot my system with floppy, it boots from
> floppy and performs some reading from floppy and
> stops, and clears the screen.
>
> no prompt is seen,cursor blinking at the top of the
> screen
> what should i do ?
> how can i add my own files to the ecos

Start by reading the documentation and getting RedBoot and some of the
test programs that come with eCos to run. Then you will be in a better
position to start writing your own applications.