Re: building RedBoot for a PC with an NIC other than 82559or 82544

Mike at VirginNet wrote:

[ ... ]

If there is something in the documentation that covers the procedure for
adding hardware support - and thus describes what I need to do - then please
point me at it.

I don't think there is any 'official' documentation for this. Here is an excerpt from the RealTek 8139 driver (see <...>/packages/devs/eth/rltk/8139/current/doc/README for the full text):

<--- SNIP --->

This driver follows the customization model used by many other drivers
to separate those parts of the code that are device specific from those
that are platform specific by requiring two packages to actually use the
driver -- the driver itself and a platform glue package that contains
only a .cdl and an .inl file (see the devs/i386/pc/rltk8139 package for
an example).

Both the driver and the glue packages must be added to the package
database before you can use them. My entries look like this:

package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_RLTK_8139 {
  alias     { "RealTek 8139 ethernet driver"
              devs_eth_rltk_8139 8139_eth_driver }
  hardware
  directory devs/eth/rltk/8139
  script    rltk_8139_eth_drivers.cdl
        description     "Ethernet driver for RealTek 8139 NIC."
}

and

package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_RLTK8139 {
  alias     { "Standard PC with RealTek 8139 ethernet device"
              devs_eth_i386_pc_rltk8139 }
  hardware
  directory devs/eth/i386/pc/rltk8139
  script    i386_pc_rltk8139_eth_drivers.cdl
  description "Ethernet driver for the RealTek 8139 family of chips."
}

Finally, you will need to create a new target that includes the RealTek
driver. The easiest way to this is copy an existing target and add the
two packages defined above (and removing the Intel 82259 packages in case
of an i386 pc target).

Basically, you should take a look at how other drivers are integrated
with specific targets - I recommend looking at the Intel 82559 and
the 16550 UART drivers for examples (or the RealTek driver mentioned
above).