Re: No zlib crc32 support?

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 09:09, Steve Strublic wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> "One of the crc32()functions actually implemented a different variation on the crc32()
> algorithm which was incompatible with all the other crc32 algorithms. Plus some
> "user" code may want to yet again implement its own crc32 algorithm."
>
> This concerns me as a developer.  I would hope that there would be one supported CRC-32 algorithm;
> the one that is commonly accepted by the general community, the one provided by zlib.  It sounds
> like what you're saying is that cyg_crc32() is to be that single algorithm.
>
> I have a setup where I generate binaries on a Linux machine.  These binaries are
> compressed/encrypted and then the output run through CRC-32, and uploaded to the platform running
> eCos.  The platform then validates the encrypted binary by generating a CRC-32 value.  Obviously,
> the values must match.  This is where my concern over cyg_crc32() comes from.
>
> As long as eCosCentric will guarantee that the output from cyg_crc32() is and will remain 100%
> compatible with zlib's crc32(), that works for me.

It's actually not up to eCosCentric, but rather the eCos maintainers :-)

In any case, we would never [intentionally] use a version which was not
compatible with the ZLIB version.  The main reason for having it in the
separate CRC package, as Andrew pointed out, is so that there need only
be one copy in your application, whether you use ZLIB or just RedBoot or
whatever.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates