debuggiing with GDB

hi
I am using atmel eb40A variant, i want to debug the code running on ram
using GDB.I connect to target and load the elf file,and set the break point
at some valid point, it says symbol table not loaded.
	therefore, i load the file using the command file z.elf(target file). now i
am able to set the breakpoint.and when i say continue,it never stops at the
breakpoint.
	Can u guys please help me out!I am able to connect to simulator for same
code.But i want to connect to remote target,running redboot, with gdb
enabled.
regards,
Vinay.S