Timer mechanism

Hi all,

I'd like to know how the timer mechanism works.
I have used a function to return the current time, cyg_current_time().
I guess that this function returns the ticks count since when I turn on the
board, is it correct?

Otherwise, Is there a variable, method or class returning/containing the
ticks count since the power up?

Moreover, I have read that there is a macro to read the current value of the
timing devices counter since the last interrupt, called HAL_CLOCK_READ. What
is the relationship between the tick and interrupt?

Regards
Giovanni Perbellini