problem using SMC1 serial port of A&M Rattler as console

Just wanted to query this board to see if anyone has
experienced problems using the SMC1 serial port of the
Rattler's MPC8250 as the console.

I set the console device to /dev/tty0 and mapped the tty
device to /dev/ser1 (the SMC1 port) using configtool. When
I build the Hello World application using this build of
eCos, nothing is printed.

When I do the same by setting the console to /dev/ttydiag
and disabling the serial hardware drivers, I am able to see
the Hello World message.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? I am not sure if the
HAL diagnostic channel (which as far as I can tell also
uses /dev/ser1 is interfering with the hardware driver. I
tried delecting the /dev/ttydiag driver but got the same
results.

Any tips, pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.