mutexes

Hi,
Im an eCos newbie.
Im am developing for an V850 platform but now using the linux synthetic target.
I've got a problem with mutexes but I can't find the origin of my problem.
My prog looks like this:
Ive got a class which contains a cyg_uint8 MyFirstVar and a cyg_mutex_t MyFirstMutexVar.
One instance of that class is used in two other classes which reads and writes MyFirstVar. This is done by a read function and a write function. Theirefore I introduced the MyFirstMutexVar to prevent the two classes from reading and or writing the MyFirstVar at the same time.
The problem is that I needed to declare a dummy mutexvariable to let the program run.
It goes wrong when the mutex is locked and have to be unlocked. When I introduce the dummy mutex variable is works fine. When I made more functions inside the variable class where I use cyg_mutex_lock an unlock I have to declare more dummies!

I can make a code sample if you like but I don't now its gonna help.
Perhaps someone can tell me it is my fault, an eCos feature or something else (synthetic target?).

Thanks,
Ronald Tubben

Mauell BV