Ctrl-c support in ISR

I am using a slightly modified version of the OpenCores CVS version of the
port for the OpenRISC and I'm trying to get proper ctrl-c debugging support
working. Currently, it will only intercept a ctrl-c and cause a breakpoint
if characters are being sent to GDB over the serial port. Taking a cursory
look at the code confirms that interrupts are not enabled for the UART (in
cyg_hal_plf_serial_init_channel()), but there does seem to be an ISR
installed via CYGACC_COMM_IF_DBG_ISR_SET(*comm, cyg_hal_plf_serial_isr). I'm
wondering if anyone could help in describing the steps I need to take to get
a ctrl-c intercepted in the ISR and cause a breakpoint as the virtual comms
stuff does seem a bit arcane.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer