newbie-help required for redboot!

Hi,
     I am a newbie to this list. I want to use redboot
as a bootloader for Intel's xscale PXA255 to boot
linux OS. I have downloaded the ecos. There redboot
exixts in packages directory. My host system is x86
one.
     I want to crosscompile redboot for ARM (xscale).
If so, should I first cross compile ecos? Or can I
cross-compile redboot alone?
     I have the toolchain 2.95.3. How should I
cross-compile? I cannot find any line CROSS-COMPILE in
the makefile which I can change to path to
arm-linux-gcc.

Help me please.

Regards,
Deya.