Re: 2 types of FLASH memory

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 09:08, Ian Campbell wrote:
> I'll extract the patches from our CVS this afternoon and post them here
> so that people have something to look at.

... and here they are. I don't expect them to be included as is, but
once I get the assignment form done I'll be working to get it into a
suitable state for inclusion. I'd been putting it off waiting for the
transfer of copyright to the FSF, but I shall talk to management about
transferring to eCoscentric in their roll as a copyright clearing house
until the transfer goes forward.

An overview of the new interface is in
packages/io/flash/current/interface.txt (I suspect it is a little out
dated though).

strataflash is the only driver which uses the new API. I have used it
successfully with JFFS2 as well as the redboot fis and fconfig commands
for quite some time.

As I mentioned last time the patch has three parts:
	The mods to the core flash API (packages/io/flash);
	The mods to the drivers;
	The mods to redboot to use the new API;

Once the io/flash part is done then the drivers can be converted one by
one. I have boards with flash parts supported by both old and new
drivers and they work fine.

The old redboot code should continue to work using the compatibility
stuff enabled by CYGSEM_IO_FLASH_LEGACY_COMPAT. However I would
recommend swapping over Red Boot at the same time as io/flash.

For reference my previous post of the patch is
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-07/msg00282.html

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell, Senior Design Engineer