Re: Request Regarding ECos

Please keep queries like this on the mailing lists unless you are approaching eCosCentric for commercial stuff, thanks.

Sandeep Patnaik wrote:
Sir

I am Sandeep Patnaik, from INDIA, working on a project on robotics.
I am working on a VIA system. The boot image is basically in a flash drive. At present I am working on LFS (Linux from Scratch). There is a requirement to switch to either eCos or Embeded Debian. I have a few querries regarding the system. I will be grateful if you could help me with them.

1. How difficult it is to compile new libraries into eCos?

Depends on the library. Lots of stuff has already been ported to eCos.

2. Does is have wireless driver support?

No, although I remember a port to the Orinoco wavelan card. Search the patch archives.

3. Does it have USB 2.0 support for Compact Flash and USB Flash?

If you mean for storage, then no, not yet.

4. It has threads - how good are they?

Oh, the best ;-). They are real-time which standard linux is not. Don't really know what you expect here.

5. What is the memory footprint for it? How small can we make it?

Tens of K. Or if you use lots of stuff, then hundreds of K - the point with eCos is that you only pay for the stuff you use.

6. Does it run OpenCV, X-windows and other common image processing libraries?

There is a microwindows port. I understand microwindows has an Xlib compatibility interface, although I don't think that's in the snapshot we've got now.

7. Can I use a library meant for Linux on it? If not, what is the alternative?

Depends on the library. Some libraries are very tied to linux, some are portable. eCos is not linux, so some things will work and other things would need porting work.

8. How good is Embedded Debian compared to eCos?

Don't know a whole lot about Emdebian. Of the things I know or would surmise: it's much much bigger (megabytes, not K), it's higher overhead (still the full kernel with MMU and task switching overheads), it's not real-time, they even say themselves it's a work-in-progress whereas eCos is more mature as an embedded OS. In its favour is wider device support and a larger software base.

I understand that these are quite a few questions but i request you to help me. The porting of the OS is last moment and is very urgent.

Don't rely on volunteers for urgent replies!

Jifl
March 30 - April 1, San Francisco http://www.esconline.com/electronicaUSA/