RE: RE: You need ecosconfig and a toolchain

So, basically, there's nothing we need to build here?  (We don't need to run
the "configure" script, nor make, make install?)

-----Original Message-----
From: Bart Veer [mailto:bartv@ecoscentric.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 4:07 PM
To: ecastle@umich.edu
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] RE: You need ecosconfig and a toolchain

    Eric> As for the cross toolchain, we're currently using the
    Eric> precompiled one for powerpc (the 2.0 release). This is also
    Eric> how we got a copy of ecosconfig.

    Eric> Will these tools work with the CVS version? Or do we need to
    Eric> follow the instructions listed at
    Eric> http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html to get an
    Eric> updated tool chain?

These should all still work fine with anoncvs.

    Eric> The rest of what we were doing was trying to follow the
    Eric> instructions listed in the README.host that's included in
    Eric> the CVS files. It appears to be for building updated
    Eric> versions of ecosconfig and other important things. I got the
    Eric> impression that I should be running this configure script,
    Eric> followed by make, and make install. This is the part where,
    Eric> nothing seems to happen when we run "make." It goes into a
    Eric> bunch of directories, but never actually builds anything
    Eric> anywhere.

The toplevel configure script looks for host-side sources in two
places. First it looks for a toplevel host subdirectory. Then it
searches for package-specific host-side support, i.e. host
subdirectories within each package.

The toplevel host subdirectory is a separate CVS module so it will not
automatically be present in an anoncvs tree. If you really need it
then you will have to do a cvs checkout of the ecos-host module. Most
people just use the existing binaries.

A number of packages have their own host-side support, e.g. for the
Linux synthetic target. I believe that, at present, if you are
configuring on a cygwin host then there is nothing to build for any of
these packages. Hence the make is a no-op.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect