Thumb / exception

Hello,
I think I found something strange:
First I got exceptions using a library which uses the new-operator very
often.
These exceptions are thrown by the new operator because malloc returns a
NULL pointer. This is OK because new wanted to allocate several GByte of
memory. The problem is that registers and variables on the stack are
changed outside the corresponding routines. I think it is the interrupt
routine because if I disable interrupts before and enable them after the
call to the library, the application is stable.

eCos, the library and my application are all thumb, using arm-elf-gcc
3.3.3, newlib 1.12.0 and the latest cvs.

What can I do to get a stable application without disabling interrupts?

Regards,
 Sven Rehfuß