Redboot - problem starting application

When stepping through the assembly code in PLATFORMSETUP1 I notice that the registers do not get updated as expected. A simple asm instruction such as loading loading a value into a register seems to be ignored. After a few steps it looks like an exception occurs and the program counter jumps to somewhere in the the application code, more precisely in the scheduler.

I am somewhat baffled why this happens as the PLATFORMSETUP1 has not yet reached the point where interrupts are re-enabled and the program counter jumps at a point in the code where a value is loaded into register r0.

The target is an ARM Integrator ARM7TDMI running Redboot. The application is the twothreads example and eCos has been built with the default setup.

How do I run an application on the ARM Integrator?

Henrik