hal_diag serial driver: using XON/XOFF flow control?

Hi List,

my hal_diag.c serial driver is all set up to handle incoming XON/XOFF messages, that is, it has an ISR and handles the incoming interrupts by reading a char. I'm using the hal_diag driver to do my debug logging, so I have /dev/haldiag and /dev/ttydiag on top of it. As I get it, these are associated with the serial channel from serial.c which provides for the flow control.

Now the problem seems to be that the HAL doesn't send characters that come in on interrupt to the serial driver. It just checks for CTRL-C and that's it. So that would mean I have to do polling (by issuing read's to the serial port) in order to get flow control for outgoing data. It also means that characters are lost which are received on interrupt.

Am I overlooking something? If not, I would like to implement XON/XOFF for the HAL diag driver. Looks like getting the received character to the serial driver needs some architectural change in the common HAL. Am I better off with reimplementing flow control inside the hal diag driver? What do you suggest?

Best,
Heiko