Re: gateway using ixdp425

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:58:07AM +0000, Sahota Herman wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to make a gateway on the IXDP425 board as a part of my
> engineering school project. Could someone guide me to a usefull link that
> could help me proceed with the same using eCos.

Gateway as in IP router?

People have tried this before i beleave. Read the ecos-discuss
archive.  I _think_ the forwarding parts of the FreeBSD stack are all
there, you just need to enable them. What is missing is the routing
daemon. If all you need are static routes then you can use IOCTL calls
to add them. If you want your gateway to be more dynamic you will need
to port/write a routing deamon.

Stevens has written a good book about the insides of the BSD
stack. You might find that useful if you have to make any changes to
the stack to make it work.

The FreeBSD site is probably a good source of information. You might
be able to find documention on the IOCTL needed to set up routes. They
might also has a BSD licensed routing daemon you can use.

        Andrew