Re: Multiple PPP interfaces in single unit

Ãyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 15:45, Nick Garnett wrote:
> > Ãyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:
> >

> > > Seperate C++ namespace for each PPPD?
> > >
> > > - Write a pppd2.h file
> > >
> > > ---
> > > namespace PPPD2;
> > > ---
> > >

> > > - Compile PPPD twice, but second time add option:
> > >
> > > g++ -include pppd2.h ...
> >
> > I have considered several ways around the problem, but not even in my
> > most fevered imaginings did I come up with that one :-)
> >
> > This would end up duplicating the code and the data. Not a good idea.
>
> Currently we have no solution. Thats not good either :-)

I don't believe *we* need a solution. It's not something that eCos is
intended to do at present. If you want to try this out for your own
application then go ahead, but it is not what I would consider a good
solution and I would not want to see it added to the repository.

> If this solution requires no changes to the code, makes updates easy and
> incurs no overhead for the common case(single PPPD)...
>
> Slightly increased code size(only PPPD code is duplicated, not the rest
> of eCos) and probably not very much more ram usage.
>
> Perhaps you know something I don't, but it seems like a very economical
> solution.

The PPP code is currently about 80k text plus 16k data. Of that the
PPPD-derived part is the by far the largest. If we subtract about 20k
for the TCP/IP-resident parts, that's still 70k+ that will be
duplicated.

> Now, the next question is whether it will work out of the box...

I think that there will be lots of obscure issues to trip you up if
you try to do it this way.