Accessing File from host system's OS filesystem

Hi
I am running eCos on my PC on which Windows XP is installed. I want to parse a BMP file in an application I wrote in ANSI C, which I now want to port to eCos. I have read how fileio system in the reference guide, but still not sure how to read the BMP file that is saved in host system's OS filesystem.

Can anyone share some fragment of code if somebody ever opened a file from native hard disk so that will serve as an example for me to follow?

Thanks
Samie