Re: RedBoot upload memory troubles

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:48:05PM +0200, Jakob Kjaer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm in the process of porting (debugging) RedBoot for our in-house
> developed computer for the SSETI-Express satellite ;)
>
> The computer is very much alike the AT91 EB40 eval.board, ie. ARM7,
> and has the following memory layout:
> 	ROM 	0x01000000, 1MB
> 	FLASH	0x02000000, 4MB
> 	RAM	0x03000000, 2MB

In order that the vectors can be changed, RAM is normally mapped into
address 0. To do this, the ROM must be mapped to some other
location. It could be your ROM is high up in memory, at
0xe8800000. That would explain the gdb information. Having said that,
0xe8800000 is a funny number so it does not seem right somehow.

> Timing and chip-selects etc. is setup correctly, and RedBoot has
> succesfully been burned to ROM, and gives me the following pleasant and
> well-known greeting:
>
> ---begin-output---
> RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROM]
> Non-certified release, version SSETI-Express OBC v5 - built 16:20:49, Aug
> 12 204
>
> Platform: Atmel AT91/AAUOBC (ARM7TDMI)
> Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.
>
> RAM: 0x03000000-0x03200000, [0x030070e8-0x03200000] available
> ---end-output---
>
> All nice so far, but... The trouble starts if I connect with gdb. It seems
> like the GDB protocol stub got the RAM size (workspace_end?) all wrong:
>
> ---begin-output---
> Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS0
> Cannot access memory at address 0xe880e880
> 0xe880e880 in ?? ()
> ---end-output---

This address is not a ram address. Its the current program counter. I
would expect this to be somewhere in redboot.

> Redboot also crashes if I try to upload my hello-world program via y-modem
> in minicom. Forcing other base-addresses for the upload doesn't help.

Nope, that won't work. eCos images are not position independant. They
have to be loaded to the address they were linked to.

> I can use all commands in RedBoot, and there are no complaints in s-record
> or elf upload - but when the upload is complete, RedBoot crashes and gdb
> protocol stuff gets sent, same error as when using gdb uploads.

Try connecting with gdb, and use the redboot.elf image. It might give
you a better idea of what went wrong.

        Andrew