problems about porting redboot

I want to port RedBoot to a PowerPC 7400 platform and there are some problems confused me.
1. Need I porting the whole HAL to the new platform?
2. Besides HAL, how many other modules also need I port?
3. If redbot's debug functions are necessary, need I do some work with gdb?
4. Are there something special for building and installing?

In addition, is there anyone who is doing something like this?
beg your help.