Re: AW: [Proposal & Patch] enhancing redboot/fis for failsafe flash updates

Am Donnerstag, 14. Oktober 2004 08:23 schrieb Neundorf,
Alexander:
> Hi,
>
> > Von: Roland CaÃebohm
> > [mailto:roland.cassebohm@VisionSystems.de]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have looked at your code and I think it is a great idea
> > to use the fis directory as a filesystem.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be fantastic to have it as one of the
> > supported filesystems in eCos (located in
> > packages/fs/fis)?
> >
> :-)
>
> That's my intention. It's only that I didn't get around yet
> to turn it into a real ecos fs.
>
> > This would be a general possibility for applications to
> > make firmware updates.
>
> Yes. The fisfs would be read-only, and there would be some
> special functions for updating. It should not replace jffs2
> in any way. fisfs is intended as an updatable read-only fs,
> while jffs2 supports real read-write.
>
> > And therefor in RedBoot should be similar command like
> > the fis commands, and from applications it should be used
> > as filesystem. Or altanativ RedBoot could get commands to
> > create and delete files in a mounted filesystem such as
> > jffs2, but use instead the minimalist filesystem.
>
> Well, with my implementation almost nothing has to be done
> in redboot, all the docs and knowledge remain valid. And
> since it is basically RO, i.e. only updated during firmware
> updates, I chose not to put fragmentation and space
> allocation in the fisfs algorithms. It only makes sure that
> you don't overwrite stuff.

Yes, you are right, it would be the best to have something,
which would work with less changes as possible to the actual
behavior.

Roland

VS Vision Systems GmbH, Industrial Image Processing
Dipl.-Ing. Roland CaÃebohm
Aspelohe 27A, D-22848 Norderstedt, Germany
http://www.visionsystems.de