Question about porting BSP

Our application runs on a VMIC, VMIVME-7750 processor board. Currently all of the "device drivers" are integrated into the application. I would like to move the devices into the OS. I derived all of the code from VMIC's Linux BSP. It seems to have a "BSD" type license on it (see below), so I believe it would be distributable with eCos. But I have some questions about the best way to organize it.

It is a i386 platform. It has 2 "special" PCI devices. The first is a custom VMIC chip so it would obviously be platform specific. However, the BSP actually supports three different versions of this chip. So I figured that I would actually implement that code with separate includes/source files (sort of like the schedulers). This chip implements 4 high speed timers, 32K of SRAM, and a watchdog timer. I would like to be able to access these through standard eCos interfaces, but since it is only a single chip I wasn't sure where to put the code.

The second chip is the Tundra Universe II. This could conceivably be used by multiple platforms. However, the VMIC chip (mentioned above) has some enhancements to the Tundra Universe. I assume that I could put HAL type macros within the Tundra Code to allow using these extra features.

Thanks
David Brennan

Copyright header:

/*
                           COPYRIGHT NOTICE

   Copyright (C) 2002-2003 VMIC
   International Copyright Secured.  All Rights Reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

o Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
o Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
o Neither the name of VMIC nor the names of its contributors may be used to
endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific
prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.