Using the Serial A on an eb40a board for both read and write!

Hi all,
I'm writing an aplication for the eb40a eveluation board.

I would like to use the Serial A connection for communication in both directions.

I have a functioning system with Redboot installed in ROM.
I prefer to use the command-line configuration tool ecosconfig, but I have tried to get the
serial-drivers into eCos using configtool.

I understand that I'm not able read from the keyboard when using arm-elf-gdb. Therefore
I download the program to target using arm-elf-gdb but instead of typing 'c' I quit arm-elf-gdb,
start minicom and do a go 0xc040. If anybody has a more elegant solution I'm interested...

I've tried the following both using /dev/ser0, /dev/tty0

void thread_B(cyg_addrword_t data)
{
int delay=100/THREAD_B_FREQ;

const char buf[]="Test\n";
cyg_io_handle_t handle;
cyg_uint32 len = 5;

setup_EBI();

if(cyg_io_lookup("/dev/ser0", &handle) < 0){
  printf("I/O-handle 'ser0' not available!\n");
}
else printf("ser0 Works!\n");
for (;;) {
  cyg_mutex_lock(&cliblock);{
    cyg_io_write(&handle, buf, &len);
    printf("Thread B\n");
  }
  cyg_mutex_unlock(&cliblock);
  cyg_thread_delay(delay);
}
}

I get "ser0 Works!" So I get a handle all right, but the thread stalls
when doing cyg_io_write. I haven't tried reading the keyboard yet.

IN OTHER WORDS can anybody prowide me the commands to make eCos
right (ecosconfig new eb40a && ecosconfig add XXX && ecosconfig tree && make)
and a program with this functionality just using the Serial A port:

int main(){
 char input;
 printf("\n write a char!\n );
 scanf("%c",&input);