Re: read ecos configuration in linux-kernel.

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 14:15 +0100, Manfred Gruber wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I use redboot as bootloader on a arm9 target. I have to read the mac address
> from from the redboot configuration, stored in flash memory.
>
> Can someone give me a information where i should start, i have mtd running and
> redboot partitions are show.
>
> Or is there some code for linux which reads the redboot configuration.
> Another possibility is to use the same code like redboot, mabe i do this...
>
> some information would be fine,

The way I've done this for the PowerPC Linux port is to have
RedBoot pass this information to the kernel when it's booted.
That way the kernel need not know any of the nitty-gritty details.

You'd have to add a new tag to ${LINUX}/include/asm-arm/setup.h, then
update RedBoot (${ECOS}/hal/arm/arch/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c)
and finally pick it up in the Linux ethernet driver.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 352-4947           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc