Re: Memory Map conventions

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:08:51 -0500, Mark Salter <msalter@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:56 -0700, Grant Likely wrote:
> > The IXP reset code enables the MMU and inserts one-to-one mappings of
> > the physical address to virtual addresses.  In other words, FLASH
> > stays at 0x50000000 and SDRAM stays at 0x00000000.
>
> Actually, IXP flash is located at 0x00000000 at reset. The early init
> code will switch it to the 0x50000000 physical address.
>

> > On the PXA, the physical memory map is as follows:
> >
> > FLASH based at 0x00000000
> > SDRAM based at 0xA0000000
> >
> > However, the PXA reset code (at least for the uE250) does something
> > different.  Rather than a one to one mapping from virtual address to
> > physical address, the MMU setup goes through contortions to remap
> > SDRAM from 0xA0000000 to 0x00000000 and remap FLASH from 0x00000000 to
> > 0x50000000.  This makes the ROM/RAM addresses look the same as on the
> > IXP platform.  However, it makes the bootup code complex and the
> > current code cannot support ROMRAM images.
>
> Why wouldn't ROMRAM images work?

Not that they wouldn't work, just that it doesn't look like the
current uE250 boot code supports ROMRAM images.  I cannot find any rom
to ram copy code to support a ROMRAM image.

> >  (In fact, from what I
> > understand it doesn't look like ROM images will work properly either
> > because I cannot find the copy from ROM to RAM).
> >

> Copy of .data sections?

Yea, I know; I wrote the wrong thing here. (got distracted).  I did
find the copy of the .data section.  What I meant to say was I didn't
understand how the PC followed FLASH moving from it's physical address
to it's virtual address.

> Life is easier if you put RAM at 0x00000000. This allows RedBoot to
> write to the cpu exception vectors.
>
> --Mark

Thanks
g.