Re: using the Qt virtual frame buffer (qvfb) from ecos synth. target

Hi Gary,

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 21:52, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 21:38 +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > attached are two files which implement a simple interface to the Qt
> > virtual frame buffer (qvfb). qvfb is a tool which comes with Qt and which
> > simulates a frame buffer display by providing a shared memory segment and
> > displaying its contents under X.
>
> Interesting.  Perhaps you could abstract this to a general frame buffer
> support (which could be implemented any number of ways...) so that we
> can make use of it elsewhere, e.g. by the microwindows code.  That way

Then a general frame buffer API is needed. We could try to implement it
compatible to the linux frame buffer (with ioctl()'s and stuff). Or a native
ecos framebuffer API. This could help the GUI stuff for ecos.

What would be needed ?
char* cyg_fb_init();
void cyg_fb_close();
int cyg_fb_get_res(int* width, int* height, int* depth);

int cyg_fb_set_res(int width, int height, int depth); ?
Most embedded devices will have only one resolution, so I am not sure this is
required. If it is, it should probably only work after init() I think. If
cyg_fb_set_res() is needed, should cyg_fb_init(void) turn into
cyg_fb_init(int width, int height, int depth) ?

-the update calls for qvfb, they could be macros, which vanish into thin air
for real hardware
-the ipc key for qvfb_init(), where to put it ? I have the impression it
changes from time to time on my box. It's calculated using ftok(mouse
+display) in Qt
-something for hardware acceleration ?
-more ?

> one could configure a synthetic target with microwindows + qtfb and
> expect the results to be indicative of microwindows + XYZfb on real
> hardware.
>
> As for the license, I don't see that putting the exception in there
> hurts, especially since it looks like you wrote the code from scratch.

Well, the QVFbHeader structure is more or less taken from Qt.

Bye
Alex
--
Work: alexander.neundorf@jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de