Re: Running ECOS on a SPARC with less than 8 registerwindows

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 15:42 +1100, Michael Cowell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in using ECOS on a LEON2 SPARC processor running on an
> FPGA development system. Using the LEON2 port of ECOS I have succeeded
> in running all the tests in the source tree, and they all pass. However,
> if I configure and synthesize my processor with less than 8 register
> windows all of the tests fail. The function in which they fail varies
> depending on the particular test, and sometimes the PC appears to be set
> to garbage (i.e. outside of memory). Clearly the handler for the
> register overrun trap does not expect a system with such a small number
> of registers (am I wrong about this?).
>
> The eventual application for the software is not the FPGA system, but an
> embedded low power device, and the large register file required for 8
> register windows is a significant problem.
>
> Has anyone run ECOS on a SPARC with less than 8 register windows (the
> SPARC architecture specification allows as little as 2)? Or, does anyone
> know what I will have to modify in the HAL code to implement the correct
> behavior in this situation?

It looks like the code attempts to handle 6, 7 or 8 windows. I don't
know if the code has ever been run on CPUs with other than 8 windows.
Look for references to __WINSIZE in the hal/sparc code. There aren't
many places where __WINSIZE matters so it should be easy enough to
debug the existing code and add support for fewer windows.

--Mark