Re: FAT file system on floppy -> what do i need

"B.E.Comp Project" <comp.project@gmail.com> writes:

> hello sir

> On 24 Feb 2005 15:13:07 +0100, David N. Welton <davidw@dedasys.com> wrote:

> >You can get Scivoli from the URL above - it uses the driver to read
> >straight off the disk.  I'm in the process of uploading a tarball
> >as well.

> i tried with compiling your scivoli code. at the md5check step i am
> getting following error.

> [root@localhost scivoli]# ./md5check.tcl image.bin /dev/fd0
> can't find package md5
>     while executing
> "package require md5"
>     (file "./md5check.tcl" line 5)

>     i am not knowing tcl...to get over this i downloaded tcllib-1.7
> then done standard configure,make,make install.i am seeing following
> entry when i gave locate md5

> /usr/local/lib/tcllib1.7/md5/md5.tcl

> but still it gives same error message . is there any way to include
> the above file . or any environment variable etc. so that tclsh can
> locate md5 present there.

You could, in the md5check code, simply do:

source  /usr/local/lib/tcllib1.7/md5/md5.tcl

instead of

package require md5

However, you don't even need md5check, it's just convenient, because
it makes sure what's been written to the floppy is ok.  I have had so
many bad floppies when working with this code that it's not funny:-(

> one more question :

> i skip the md5check and use dd for transferring image.bin to floppy.
> after booting from floppy i get blank screen then at the next moment
> system reboots...what could be the problem.  is it related to : "it
> requires VBE compatible video card to function. Many, but not all
> modern video cards meet this criteria". or any other reason.

Could be.  You can attach a serial cable at 38400 to see what error
message it's giving you, if any.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/