Re: default network port on ixp425

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 02:38 -0500, Alfred Wong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am finding that the redboot is using ONLY the network port I give as
> my default network port to boot from in the redboot fconfig listing.
>
> From what I understand redboot should use that port as preferred port
> and if it cannot get images from that, it should switch to other
> ports.
> But, I am observing that its using only one port, which is given in
> the preferred list. Its not using the other port at all to get files
> ??

No. That is not how it works with RedBoot. RedBoot uses the first
network device that it finds starting with the default specified by
fconfig. Once a suitable network device is found, RedBoot stops
searching and that network device is used exclusively from that
point. Typically, the IXP4xx boards will support a PCI card as well
as one or more NPE ports. If the default device is a PCI card and that
card is not plugged in, RedBoot will try an NPE port. RedBoot will
skip an NPE port if the NPE port is not present on the CPU or if
there is no PHY attached to it.

--Mark