Best way to do a flash memory dump to host from target?

Hi all,

I've got RedBoot running in RAM on a remote target and before I write a ROM version to flash I'd like to capture the existing flash memory so I can "go back" if I ever want to.

1. the stock RedBoot I built doesn't seem to have any facilities for this; there's 'load' which allows me to load in file via x/y modem, but is there a package I can add that will give me a 'send' so that I can send a memory chunk via x/y modem back to the host?

2. I can do a minicom capture of dump -b <address> -l <length> -s which will give me the s-record listing and then use objcopy to convert that to a binary... but yeech, that's a twisted way to get it.

Any feedback on the "best" way to do this?

Thanks!

Andrew