Failure on large memory allocation

Hello,
    We are running a PC platform. We tried to use 4 Gig of memory but the
system failed right after boot. With 2 Gig of memory the system seems to run
fine, except when it runs out of memory ecos locks up when trying to
allocate space not available. We run a program that allocates all system
space then frees it when it cannot allocate the space. Any thoughts on this?

Steve