From: Bart Veer [mailto:bartv@ecoscentric.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:40 AM
To: Rycerz Roman-G11565
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] SPI driver and constructor execution

    Roman> I have modified the SPI driver software that was posted
    Roman> here and in CVS. I can can get it to compile and link...
    Roman> the problem I have having is that when the system is
    Roman> initializing the spi bus constructors don't get built... in
    Roman> the image I don't even see the init routines or the cxx
    Roman> files in insight when I go to debug it. I think I have
    Roman> implemented the same macros and such... but something is
    Roman> missing ????

    Roman> I have looked at other drivers that are inited this was and
    Roman> haven't found what I am missing.....

    Roman> Any ideas ?

Does the application reference any of the SPI code or cyg_spi_device structures, e.g. by calling cyg_spi_transfer() with a suitable first argument? The SPI subsystem has been designed such that it all gets eliminated by link-time garbage collection unless there is code which actually uses it. That way SPI support can be added to a platform without adding overhead to applications which do not use SPI.

If the application does reference a cyg_spi_device structure then that will get linked in. The device structure references a cyg_spi_bus so the linker has to pull that in, and that should cause the appropriate constructor to be added to the executable automatically.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect