Re: Compiling and linking with ecos libraries and headers

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 16:08 -0700, Payam Refaeilzadeh wrote:
> I am kind of new to embedded developement using ecos.
> I was trying to compile and run a simple "hello world"
> app on a MXLADS board but ran into some problems.  I
> was able to compile this just fine and I was able to
> load it on the board using gdb, but when I try running
> it using the gdb continue command, it freezes on me.
> After disassembling and analyzing the loaded program I
> discovered that when I compile and link my program
> with the eCos libraries it includes many lines of
> warm_reset code before the main method, which I don't
> think belong there, and effectively it gets stuck
> somewhere in that code, before it even gets to main.
> I am thinking I am not linking the "hello world" code
> against the correct eCos libraries.  I have been using
> the ecos configuration tool to create the eCos
> libraries and I have already tried the "default" and
> "all" package template, and have even tried the RAM
> startup option hoping that this would get rid of the
> warm_reset code, but have had no success.  I can use
> GDB to jump to main and single step there, but just
> using continue, it gets stuck.

What's an MLXADS board?  What target did you use?

To run via GDB, you probably need to be using RAM startup.
It is correct that there is a fair amount of initialization
that takes place before "main" gets called - it's the nature
of embedded systems.