Help with loading kernel on i386

Hi Guys,
I am working with redboot on a i386 PC. I'm attempting to load and run a bzImage from the redboot prompt. redboot boots up fine and gives this message.
RAM: 0x000000-0x000a0000, [0x0008acd0-0x000a0000] available

I am able to load the kernel image with
redboot> load -r -b %{FREELOMEM} bzImage
This throws a lot of multi coloured garbage on the screen, perhaps I loaded the image into the video mem area. Then if I attempt to execute this the PC simply reboots.

As per the man page for the exec command. The kernel expects to be loaded at a specific address for each platform. What is that address for an i386 ? I have patched in Ian Campbell "Linux" command for exececuting the linux kernel.

When I built redboot there were couple of values used by the configtool, is this correct.
ecosconfig new pc redboot
U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR new inferred value 0
U CYGIMP_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_USE_INTERRUPT_STACK new inf val 0
I'd greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks,
SSG