From: Dirk Eibach <eibach@gdsys.de>
To: replay688@hotmail.com
CC: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Updating application in the field via Redboot
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:08:01 +0200

Hi,

The idea would be to have a host based application or script that initiates communication with Redboot via serial or otherwise. The script triggers actions on the redboot end: load the new app image and write it to flash.

We we do it exactly this way using a multi platform Qt solution. Works dead reliable. If you don't need the graphical front-end, maybe "expect" is the tool for you. A sample script has been posted to this list before.

Does this seem reasonable, or are there more elegant ways to do this?

When the application loaded by Redboot is up and running, we provide an alternative way to update. You can connect with a client via network and then upload an image that is flashed as it comes in. If something goes wrong there you still have the opportunity to repair the system via Reboot.

Regards,
Dirk