Re: ecos on ixdp425 to simulate a GSM network

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 11:40:45AM +0530, Rohit Agarwal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to eCos and ixdp425.
>
> As a part of my college project, I am supposed to simulate a GSM
> mobile network and add extra feature of Wi-Fi also. For that, I have
> decided to use IXDP425 board and port eCos on it.
>
> As till now, I have been successful in making test programs run on the
> IXDP425 board compiled using a gcc compiler. Does that mean that I
> have ported eCos on the hardware?

I presume by test programs you mean the normal eCos test
programs. Have you run them all? If they all pass then yes, you have
made a port. Congratulations.

> Also, I am supposed to connect 2 GSM modems through the serial ports
> and a Wi-Fi lan card that will fit in the PCI slot. The Wi-Fi lan card
> should be such that its drivers for linux should be open-source and
> freely available on the net. Can anyone suggest me a Wi-Fi lan card
> which fulfils my requirements?

Using the Linux driver is probably the wrong solution. The TCP/IP
stack in eCos is a port of the FreeBSD stack. You will find it easier
to use the FreeBSD wlan drivers than a Linux driver. You should also
be aware that its not just as simple as porting a driver. 802.11 has
its own protocol stack which goes between TCP/IP and the hardware
driver. You will need to port this stack as well. It will be
complicated by the fact that eCos's port of the FreeBSD stack is quite
old. You might find you need to update the TCP/IP port before you can
put in the WLAN stack.

        Andrew