Re: Issue with VIA Rhine II ethernet Driver on I386 platform in latest code base.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 04:02:39PM +0530, Sriramkumar Raju wrote:
> Hi,
>      I had ported RedBoot to i386 platform having VIA Rhine II
> Ethernet controller. It is working well with the code base that I got
> from "http://safariexamples.informit.com/0130354732/";.
>
> I took the latest eCOS code base from
> "http://ecos.sourceware.org/anoncvs.html"; by executing the command
> "cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@ecos.sourceware.org:/cvs/ecos co -P
> ecos".
> I did the porting of the VIA Rhine driver to the i386 platform in
> latest code base. The system failed to boot. So i tried to debug it by
> enabling the DEBUG in Rhine driver and some more diag_printf
> statements. So after adding debug I got the system booting and got
> DHCP ip address from the DHCP server. I am able to telnet to the
> target.
>
> I want to know what might be reason that makes my system to come up
> once I add the debug message. Do I need to change the memory
> configuration of my system while porting the driver to i386 platform?

The debug messages might have changed the timing such that some
hardware dependant timing works with the debug messages and not
without them. What you can try to do is slowly remove the debug
messages and see which one is critcal. That might give you a clue as
to while bit of code is causing the problem.

        Andrew