eCos synthetic on Linux 2.6 powerpc

Hello

I have an Apple powerbook laptop (PowerPC G4 processor)running Fedora
Core 4. I have build all the required toolchain (both the current target
and for arm-elf)

Now the problem:
I have been trying without success to build eCos synthetic on this
machine.
I have downloaded the eCos source code from the CVS repository (either
the latest version or 2.0) and tried to compile the way you normally
compile eCos on i386. (configure/make/make install)

After running the configure script, running make will complete in about
5s (e.g. extremely (too?) fast).
Doing make install will only install usbhost in the destination path
($PREFIX/bin).

Here are the last line returned by the configure script,
configure: warning: Synthetic target ethernet support is only available
on x86 Linux hosts
configure: warning: The synthetic ethernet support cannot be built on
this platform.
updating cache ../../../../../../.././config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile

Am I missing something obvious?
What is the proper way for building ecos on a non x86 linus (I have to
admit, I've always used the binary release for using ecos on synthetic
target)

BTW, I don't see why the synthetic ethernet support can't be built on
linux-powerpc, looking at the source code there's really nothing
preventing it to be built.

Thank you for your help
Regards
Jean-Yves