Re: redboot functionality from user application

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 02:51 -0800, Saurabh prakash wrote:

> --- Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 02:23 -0800, Saurabh prakash
> > wrote:
> > > hi ,
> > >
> > > i am a newbee, i have ported redboot to my custom
> > > powerpc
> > > board. i have used mbx template. i get redboot
> > prompt
> > > and
> > > i can use commands like fis, fconfig, mfill,
> > dump..
> > > etc.
> > >    my problem is that i want redboot functionality
> > > from my user
> > > application.i don't want a seperate redboot image.
> > > have gone thru' anthony's book and he has
> > mentioned
> > > somewhere that the final product should
> > (ideally)have
> > > the rom-ram startup type and
> > > gives a diagnostic console terminal(like redboot)
> > > where we can
> > > give commands? IS THIS POSSIBLE. if yes how?
> >
> > eCos does not provide such an environment as a
> > standard
> > component.  However, it's simple enough to write
> > such
> > a command line (UI) if you wish.
> >
> > In general though, eCos applications are all about
> > solving
> > a particular problem in the embedded environment.
> > This
> > seldom involves interactive command line processing
> > such
> > as what you mention.
> >
> > What's your application doing that it still needs
> > such functions?
>
>   I am building platform for a telecom product. In which
>   i planned to include a CLI built into the user applications.
>   It seemed to me that redboot can be included in the ecos
>   "libtarget.a", so that i can use commands like mfill, dump,
>    etc. straight from the generated executable without a seperate
>    redboot image.the CLI would run as a seperate thread which
>    could be disabled for the field product. Is this strategy
>    flawed? I am a newbee in the embedded world. can u guide me
>    regarding the strategy generally followed in this regard?
>    in particular i want to ask whether a console terminal with
>   some basic commands (dump, mfill etc) and diagnostic prints is
>   advisable for the field product?
>
>   or, alternatively, what is missing from
> > just the RedBoot environment for what you need (if you
> > truly need all these trappings)?
>
>   redboot is a complete solution. it does not lack anything ;)

Appreciated, thanks.

While RedBoot is quite complete in itself, if you want to
provide similar functionality in your application, I think
you'd be better off writing your own framework, possibly borrowing
ideas, etc, from RedBoot.  The RedBoot code itself was not really
designed for sharing or re-use.

It may make sense for you to provide such functions in your application,
if you have the resources (memory, CPU cycles, etc).  That's a decision
you'll need to make yourself.

reminder: please copy your replies to the eCos mailing list so that all
may benefit from the discussion.  Private support is available from
various parties (including myself) under contract.  If you need detailed
support, that may be the best way forward, but unsolicited private email
is discouraged.