From: Andrew Lunn [mailto:andrew@lunn.ch]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 3:31 AM
To: mac
Cc: ecos-discuss@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [ECOS] serial device problem

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 02:44:07PM +0800, mac wrote:
> hi~ all,
>
> I want to use serial port to connect between OMAP 5912 osk platform and
PC,
> so I need a serial device driver.
> There are generic 16x5x driver, raw serial driver, and tty driver in eCos
> package.
> Is it right that generic 16x5x driver for low level driver and raw serial
> driver and tty driver for high level driver?

Yes. There are a few other layers inbetween, but that is basically
correct.

> Need I add generic 16x5x driver and tty driver (tty for high level driver
)
> in my .ecm file or add just one of them?
>
> ps. The UART on 5912 is NS16550.

You also need a hardware specific driver which tells the generic 16x5x
driver about your specific hardware. eg take a look at
packages/devs/serial/i386/pc/current which contains the hardware
specific part for a normal PC serial ports.

To enable these drivers you need to edit the ecos.db. You will need to
add the new hardware specific package you write, which i guess you
will name something like CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_OSK, plus to the omap
OSK target you need to add:

                   CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_GENERIC_16X5X
                   CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_OSK

You then need to enable the option CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES when you
build along with any options you want for the tty driver.

        Andrew