Re: Re: DSR Scheduling Problem

Grant Edwards wrote:

On 2006-01-14, Jay Foster <jay@systech.com> wrote:

I still think that FIFO queuing of the DSRs is better than
LIFO queuing, because in the absence of any DSR priority
information, the best that can be done is temporal priority
(ie FIFO).

That happens to work for your application, but I don't see how
you can say that FIFO is best in the general case.

hmm...i think jay has a point here: we are apparently loosing temporal ordering --- so even if a system would be capable of handling the load if the DSRs were executed in the order the associated ISRs occurred, with the current LIFO implementation it fails --- as demonstrated by jay.

This prevents the case (that I'm seeing) where a lower
priority ISR's DSR preempts a higher priority ISR's DSR (the
priority is lost in the LIFO DSR queue).

I still maintain that your application is either broken or you
don't have enough CPU. If one interrupts source requires so
much DSR time that others can't run, then there is simply
something wrong. You seem to prefer a tx underrun error to an
rx overrun error. I guarantee you're going to get one or the
other. On the systems I work on, either is equally fatal, so
it is not the case that FIFO is better than LIFO. Both work
equally well.

hmm...apparently jay is seeing neither of your predicted results since he switched to FIFO...

--
Dr Dirk Husemann, Pervasive Computing, IBM Research, Zurich Research Lab
	hud@zurich.ibm.com --- http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Appended to this email is an electronic signature attachment. You can
ignore it if your email program does not know how to verify such a
signature. If you'd like to learn more about this topic, www.gnupg.org
is a good starting point.