Re: Help regarding Embedded Boards

Hello,

as a hobby embedded programmer I've also searched for the same boards as you do. So far I've found only several NAS solutions (cheap) and few quite cheap boards.

PowerPC: TAMS's MOAB 3011 is directly supported by eCos, price $399 for the board which is lowest price I was able to found for full featured PowerPC embedded board. (I don't count PPC modules where you also need to buy base-board):
http://www.tamsinc.com/3011/index.htm
For $527 you do have it inside nice case...

ARM: Olimex's boars are quite cheap, if you are going ARM7TDMI route:
http://www.olimex.com/ -- for example LPC-P2106 (with Philips LPC2106):
http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-p1.html
is listed for ~$60

For ARM I'm using Linksys NSLU2 personally, for about $70 you will get NAS with Intel ixp420 (Xscale) inside with RedBoot and eCos support (not fully complete inside the source tree, since you need to get some sources for builtin ethernet from Intel): http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1118334819312&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
You can also connect serial and JTAG to it if you like:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAThirtyFourPinUniversalConnector

Anyway, if anybody find anything cheaper -- especially in PowerPC domain, I'm more than interested to hear about it!

Thanks,
Karel