Re: Random question about performance

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 20:09 -0800, Chuck McManis wrote:
> So Redboot isn't a speed demon, I knew that, but pings to redboot take on
> average 4 - 6 milliseconds. Pings to UNIX running on the same hardware take
> .4 - .8 milleseconds. That is not quite 10x slower. I know Redboot is a
> polled networking system but it doesn't have to context switch either.
> What's up with that?

This is probably more about what else it's polling.  RedBoot only
polls the network device, and hence answers pings, as it's waiting
for "console" input.  Depending on the device you have, and the
number of them if you are in "any console" mode, this can take a
while between polls.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>