Re: Random question about performance

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

> So Redboot isn't a speed demon, I knew that, but pings to redboot take on
> average 4 - 6 milliseconds. Pings to UNIX running on the same hardware take
> .4 - .8 milleseconds. That is not quite 10x slower. I know Redboot is a
> polled networking system but it doesn't have to context switch either.
> What's up with that?

In some modes, RedBoot only checks for network input once every
10ms.  That means average ping times of around 5ms.  On my
platform, I increased the polling rate to 1-2 ms to make
RedBoot more responsive to network traffic.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  How's the wife? Is
                                  at               she at home enjoying