Re: PCI Issue

anupam sakargayan <sc_anupam_s@yahoo.co.in> writes:

> Hello Friends,
>
> I am working on PCI bus. My target board is i386 PC
> motherboard; I want to write a PCI scan code for it,
> which should gives me all the details about the card
> inserted into the PCI slot.
>
> Information like:
>

> 5) Number of ports in the card of same function
> 6) Base address of all the ports

The PCI config space registers cannot give you this information. All
PCI tells you is the base addresses of the IO and memory regions that
the card has been allocated. The contents of these regions is up to
the card definition. You will have to look at the documentation of the
cards you are using, or maybe the documentation of the chips on the
card.

Given that the 2 port card defines one IO region and the 4 port card
defines two, I would guess that the ports are paired up in some
way. Either with the second following the first, or accessed through
the same set of register in some way. Again, the card documentation
will tell you this.

--
Nick Garnett                                eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com           The eCos and RedBoot experts